Monday, July 22, 2013

David Wu discusses explosive new Fringemunks video "The Consultant"



The completed audio recording of "The Consultant" is so good, in my opinion, that it is the best output of the Season 4 album (which now has just 2 songs left to record/release) to date.  So this is in best-of territory.

As for the music video, it aims to capture in my view the essence of 2013 in the pop culture and political realms, and throws this "feel" over to 2036 for consideration.

That's the premise behind the video.  It's a question, not a statement.  There are approximately 170 (more or less - I didn't tally it up) unique images that I pieced together in a mosaic-esque fashion, and the arrangement will hit people differently at different times, in different ways.  I have nothing to say - I'm merely recapping and reflecting, but not pushing anything.

I am a political moderate, and while this may mean that I disagree with both sides all the time, it also means I have a unique (and in my opinion, a more grounded) perspective.  It's one thing to follow beliefs and have values.  But we are living in a very disturbing time.

The majority of Fringemunks videos out there on the interwebs were produced by third parties, and had nothing to do with me with the obvious exception of the audio production itself.  I did a few music videos of the songs as well.  But this is the first Fringe video not to be primarily about Fringe.  Yet in producing it in this way, I believe it is at the heart of Fringe, which aims to make viewers reflect about real life, real issues, and real relationships.

As many of you know, the episode's storyline dictates which song and lyrical structure I will use to recap the story.  I have received many suggestions for songs to parody for this project, but in 99% of those cases, they merely want to hear a parody of that song, without having given though to which episode it should recap.  So this case was in fact "as usual" - the episode discussed 1) how Walter's former opinions about the other side were now in question, and 2) how Jones was synchronizing the frequencies of doppelgangers to destabilize both sides.  Blurred Lines, indeed.  Hence, the parody choice.

I took it one step further:  blurring the lines between non-fiction and fiction ... between our world, and the Fringe storyline.  I'm not sure if anyone wants to breakdown the images used throughout this video; but I'm not sure if that is the best way to experience/analyze the video anyway.  Up to you.

I was debating on whether to end this video with a message of hope, or a sign of despair.  I decided on both simultaneously (or neither, if you look at it another way):  "DIVIDED WE STAND."  This can be taken two ways:  negatively (we are divided), or positively (we still stand despite the divisions).

Regardless, feel the video and the song.  Reflect, recap, and react as you please.

No comments: